Dog's life

I love animals, I always have. So much so that I tend to distance myself from animals because I don't want to feel the pain when something happens to them. We had a cat for several years, his name was Oliver, he was a very large orange cat that was a big part of our family. When our third child was 5 days old my husband had to take him to the vet and have him put down. He was 16 years old and had been sick for a long time. It was time, we didn't want him to suffer any longer. When I was eight and a half months pregnant I was hauling Oliver from vet to vet trying to find an answer and a treatment for him, but there were no answers. The whole time I was in the hospital after giving birth to my beautiful baby boy I was also worried sick about Oliver and I drove my sister-in-law that was watching my other two kids crazy by calling her every 20 minutes for an update on Oliver's condition.

That was 9.5 years ago and I haven't been able to bare the thought of another pet since the loss of Oliver. We have the occasional fish, 2 hermit crabs (which are the perfect pets) and my son has 2 sweet rats but that's it. Even when those small pets die I am heartbroken.

Lately, I have been thinking that a pet would be nice, I just won't get too attached (yea, right). The kids are getting older and introducing a pet into the family seems much more doable now that our family is complete. A new pet would be welcomed by 5 kids that very much want a pet, and it would be a big part of our family.

We can not have another cat since our third son is allergic to cats. But I am thinking of getting a dog. I am looking for a small rescue dog. I found the perfect little Chihuahua, her name is Kammi. She is a year old and weighs just 4 pounds. The perfect size to be an inside dog and travel easily with us. We all got excited and I filled out an application and e mailed to the rescue agency and we waited. The next morning came the response: "Sorry, we feel that Kammi is too small and fragile for a home with small children." I was so disappointed. You see, I had already bonded with Kammi through her picture. I had already become attached to her sweet little face and innocent little eye's. I had already made plans to welcome Kammi into our house and had searched for a little pink dog collar and a fuzzy little pink dog bed.

But alas, Kammi must be meant for someone else. I just hope she is treated like the princess that we would have treated her like. There must be a little dog out there waiting for us somewhere. I will keep looking...

3 comments:

SUEB0B said...

Some of these rescue organizations drive me insane. The are soooo picky when there are bazillions of animals looking for a home. I know they are trying to do the right thing but still!!

Anyway, congrats on the new blog!

Anonymous said...

Um, I think God sent you a possum...

Unknown said...

Standard Poodles! That's the ticket! Large enough to not be breakable for your 3 dd and non-shedding / hypoallergenic for her allergic child! Smart, obedient, not yippy. Perfect. There you are! Problem solved. (And the fact that I happen to have three Standard Poodles doesn't sway my suggestions in the very least. Really.)